A resolution is the action of solving a problem, dispute, or contentious matter. Some common resolutions are:
•Lose Weight and Get Fit
•Learn Something New
•Get Out of Debt or Save Money
•Spend More Time with Family
•Travel to New Places
•Be Less Stressed
These all have one common thing.. They are all also the most popular to be broken. I understand wanting to improve on something and get better, but we do not need to look at ourselves as problems. We do not need to make “resolutions”….we need to make “goals”. We need to improve and work at something. In case you are wondering what I am talking about, check out what I am focusing on in 2016.
Southern and Thankful Goals for 2016:
1. Do what makes you HAPPY. Binge watch Netflix. Dress like a hobo. Read a good book. Cook dinner for someone special. Buy balloons because why not? Sit by the fire. Listen to Tswift. Go to the movies. Make your bed. Dance like no one is watching. If it makes you happy do that above all else.
2. Get to know others beyond the surface. People these days only know what they see and hear. Get past the awkward introduction phase and be someone who is open and happy to be.
3. Live outside the box.
4. Surround yourself with people who care. To have a friend you have to be a friend. If you are putting everything into a friendship odds are it will only lead to hurt and frustration. No one has time for that! Be there for people who are always going to be there for you. People who are going to push you to be the best version of yourself. People who are constantly striving to be the best version of themselves. Be a united force!
5. Learn from the past. God teaches us things every day… take advantage of that.
6. Read your bible more. God has done great things and the only way you will know about it and better understand is love is if you take the time to know his stories.
7. Talk to God on the regular. He can not help you, comfort you, or love you if you do not talk to him. With that being said, praise him. Thank him everyday because he has blessed you wether you know it or not. Let him be your guide.
8. Random acts of kindness should always be on your to-do list. Helping others is a gift. Helping others is a job we all have.
9. Doubt will be the death of you. Others will doubt you and you will doubt yourself. Others will want to see you fail and by doubting yourself you have lost before you even started. Don’t let others write your story. Take the pen in your hands and send them a copy when all is said and done. You can’t keep doubting yourself.
10. Do it for the insta. Be adventurous. Go to unknown places. Eat new things. When trying to decide whether to swim with sharks or not.. just think of the cool photo you could post on instagram after.
11. Be a light. On the hard days remember why you do this. God placed this on your heart. God has given you a gift… Use it to reach others. Make their day and in doing it let them know that they are loved by many, but first and foremost, Jesus Christ.
12. So you aren’t the best speller. So you leave out commas. So you forget for a second the difference in “there” and “their”. Welcome to the real world where no one is perfect and God made us this way because he knows an imperfect person will be full of joy in the end.
13. Make friends with as many people as possible. You can never have enough friends. You can even be a friend to your enemies. Kill everyone with kindness.
14. Manage time more freely. Get up when your supposed to get up. Be ready when you say you will be ready. Don’t plan everything to a tee because that just leads to stress. Be on time and have fun with the time you do have. Go to bed earlier. Wake up earlier. Carpe diem!
15. You are not the opinion of someone else. People will love on you and people will hate on you. It is part of life. In everything we do someone is going to be in the background full of negative thoughts. Let them. When all is said and done you will be thankful for those people in the background because they will ultimately be the reason you succeed.
16. Do not worry about the things you cannot control because if you will remember there is always one person who is in control. You are a child of his and he knows what is best for you. Don’t run from him….run to him.
When I find myself in times of trouble I will look back on this list because this will be my key to success. I am not a problem. I am a solution. A solution that will always be able to improve. I am going to be thankful for these goals several times this year…. I already know it!
Make a list of goals and stay true to them. Odds are you will fail at times, and when you do remember my number12. May you all be thankful for another year of unpredictable fun, surprises, adventures, change, blessings, and memories. Happy New Year. Do not change yourself… Strive to be a better you in 2016. Strive to be the best you that you can be. Be thankful time and time again.
Southern and Thankful