Naturally I started to think about why God made James Bethea my father. This is what I came up with:
1. To show me it’s okay to try new things.
2. To cook something different all the time.
3. To be there when I make mistakes.
4. To make me watch old movies.
5. To give me confidence.
6. To support me in my dreams.
7. To get me up early.
8. To have someone to watch House of Cards with.
9. To make me feel better when I’m sick, better than anyone else could…
10. To support the TCU Horned Frogs with me.
11. To be me, just in a older and wiser form.
When you are growing, it seems like you send half the time trying to prove to yourself that you are not your parents. I am not really sure why we spend so much time denying that, but no matter what everyone has some part of their parents in them. It is science lol.
It also seems like the older you get the more you become like them. When Dad and I were scuba diving last week we got so tickled because right when we were about to go in the ocean I said, “What have we gotten ourselves into?” And he said he was thinking the same thing. It is often nice to have someone that you know will understand you.
I have also decided that if I can be half the man/father my Dad is when I am at that point in life, then I know I will be doing something right. Thanks for loving me and being my main guy, Dad. I am so thankful for you!
I am also thankful for all the other father like figures in my life. You all make it easy to be #southernandthankful when I have such great role models.
Happy Father’s Day. I hope you were thankful for the father in your life!
Southern and Thankful