22, the Taylor Swift Year in case you were unaware. People call it that because of Swift’s hit song “22”. Might I add that this year at the age of 22, I saw Swift sing 22 live. Pretty cool moment! That, as well as 1000 other reasons, is why I have loved being 22. This year I found strength I never had, realized the confidence I had, and did some overall painful work to make myself a better person, brother, friend, and Christian. I also graduated college- a huge accomplishment in my book. I gained new friends while some friends faded out of my life. I am now writing a book- a major goal of mine. I have grown wiser, happier, healthier, more open minded, and I kept going even when I did not feel like I had the stamina. 22 has come and gone and I know I am a much better person because of it!
To celebrate here is a list of 22 things I learned to be thankful for, or reminded to be thankful for or lessons learned in my 22nd year of life:
1. A Water Bottle- drink more water
2. Don’t Give Up on People When Things Get Hard
3. Toxic Relationships Rarely Change
4. ZYN22 Cycling Studio- fitting? I think so!!
5. Kenzie Keeley and Kelly Simons- you finally made the blog!!
6. Adults who deal with the real world- my recently graduated / older friends
7. Therapists, Chaplains, and Councilors – s/o Todd Bowling
8. Solid, Dry, Land- RIP Senior Cruise
9. Asking God for the ability to swim in Grace
10. Matching shirt and short sets- I am telling you it is a movement
11. Taylor’s Reputation Album- unreal
12. Make spontaneous choices- you will be surprised
13. Mental Health is serious
14. My Mom’s Snapchats
15. My Dad’s enthusiasm
16. College / TCU in general- I recommend never leaving
17. Cardi B is a high key inspiration
18. Family members can also double as your best friend- ily auntie kiss
19. Reading books- seriously it has changed my life
20. Don’t be afraid to take care of yourself first- to an extent being selfish can save you
21. Wear whatever you want- it is the best way to express yourself
22. My worth comes from God
These are random but I assure you, the list goes on and on. To be honest, I am kind of sad to leave 22 because it has been such a life changing year for me. I think back to a year ago- when I looked at myself in the mirror and didn’t recognize the person in the reflection- I am proud to say at the turn of another year, I do recognize the person in the mirror. I love him and I kind of want to give him a hug. That’s not weird, right? Here’s to being 23 and learning and growing in so many more ways. The future is so bright and I am not stressed, I am blessed!! Thank you all for the love. This year I am going after big goals- I hope you will continue to cheer me on. Much love and lots of gratitude to you.
Southern and Thankful